Monday, June 30, 2008

Lets move on!

Now that I have cooled down again we can move on with this story. As you remember I was hit with a $500 a month garnishment, $400 for child support, and $100 a month for arrears. This garnishment started Nov.04 1996, My employer deducted $141.92 each week, you don't need a calculator to figure out they were withholding more then what the state of Alabama said I needed to pay monthly. I didn't quibble it was only an extra $68.00 a month, and I thought it would help pay off the arrears early.Boy! was I in for a surprise,when I started getting monthly statements from Alabama, it appeared that the $100 a month to cover the arrears that they said I owed, didn't even cover the interest that they charged each month. This went on year after year. I tried to get a lawyer to help me with this situation, but all I got was, that if it was a court order, there was nothing they could do. Then in the spring of 1997, after I filed taxes, I was informed that the garnishment also included any tax refunds.Now remember they are still withholding the same amount each month, and now they are taking any tax refunds that I may get. The big surprise came after my son turned 19 the legal age in Alabama. He turned 19 on July 30th.2001, up to that point I had stopped paying attention to the monthly reports, I just filed them.
I requested a payment summary after he turned 19, I was just curious as to how much money they had taken from me, and how much they figured I still owed.
I skipped a small detail at this point, in July of 1999 I pulled up stakes in Fl., and moved all the way across the country to sunny California. I tnought that since I was no longer in a contiguous state to Alabama, I was free from this debt.(I wasn't running out on my obligation, I figured they had collected more then enough.) During the period of Nov.1997, when this all started, and July of 1999 when I moved they had managed to withhold $18,262.11(Remember what the judge stated ,$400 a monthchild support, and $100 a month towards arrears) My math may not be the best but I figure from Nov.97-thru-July 99 is 21 months. Let me see if I have this right =$18,262.11 devided by 21=$869.62 a month, or $369.62 a month more then the court order.Again I sought a Lawyer, this time I found one willing to take on the court, only one small detail, he wanted $2500.00 up front and $250.00 per hour, and he had no idea how many hours it would take, Needless to say with the experience I had gone through with my other high-priced lawyer(He only took me for $750.00 remember.) I wasn't about to trust this guy.
Well I took it easy for the first couple of months after arriving in Ca., but by Oct. I was ready to go to work. I had spent about 10/15 years in the retail business so I knew that it wouldn't take me long to find work. I went to work in Oct. 1999, in Nov. of that year I got a letter from the corporate headquarters informing me that beginning in Dec. the garnishment would begin again. It was at this point that I surmised that contiguous didn't mean a thing when it came time for a state to collect money.
Hang in there with me I'll have you up to the present shortly, but it gets worse not better.


No comments: